Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Paul Rusesabagina Congratulates Hillary Clinton, Mourns Mandela




HRRF Logo

Last week was an emotional week for me. 
  
I was very happy to attend the The Lantos Foundation for Human Rights and Justice ceremony for the presentation of its highest honor, the 2013 Lantos Human Rights Prize, to Hillary Rodham Clinton in Washington, D.C.  
 
I was delighted to celebrate the Secretary Clinton's award and the hard work behind it. And, humbled to hear what she said. I was proud but a bit embarrassed when Secretary Clinton said, "Paul Rusesabaigna, you stood your ground. You stood in the face of another horror that was almost unimaginable - the horror of Genocide in our time.  And, you saved and protected others, in a great example of courage and compassion."
I was honored to see Secretary Clinton recognized for her contributions to human rights. I received the Lantos Human Rights in 2011. I am awed and humbled to be included in the group of previous honorees including, Dalai Lama, Elie Wiesel and Chen Guangcheng. It meant very much to me to be on hand with the Lantos family to celebrate Secretary Clinton's award. 

But, the day was one of mixed emotions. I was also very sad to learn of the death of one of my heroes and role models, Nelson Mandela. 
Nelson Mandela was an icon to the world.  And to me, growing up in the hills of Rwanda. Today Mandela is gone. Let us all walk in his footsteps to make a better Africa, and, a better world.
Mandela was my hero since the age of 13. I began reading Mandela when I was just a boy and he taught me that a man should follow his message and his heart. Mandela always said South Africa for All.  He worked those words his whole life.
I love that his beloved home of South Africa held a Truth and Reconciliation process to heal the wounds of apartheid. I dream that someday my beloved home of Rwanda will have a real, internationally sanctioned Truth and Reconciliation process to heal the wounds of Genocide. I need your help to make that dream come true. 
Donate Online
Phone: (312) 498-9279
www.HRRFoundation.org
Email us at: info@hrrfoundation.org

 Like us on Facebook

__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

“Uwigize agatebo ayora ivi”. Ubutegetsi bukugira agatebo ukariyora uko bukeye n’uko bwije.

"Ce dont j’ai le plus peur, c’est des gens qui croient que, du jour au lendemain, on peut prendre une société, lui tordre le cou et en faire une autre."

“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

“The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.”

“I have loved justice and hated iniquity: therefore I die in exile."

KOMEZA USOME AMAKURU N'IBITEKEREZO BYA VUBA BYAGUCITSE:

RECOMMENCE

RECOMMENCE

1.Kumenya Amakuru n’amateka atabogamye ndetse n’Ibishobora Kukugiraho Ingaruka ni Uburenganzira Bwawe.

2.Kwisanzura mu Gutanga Ibitekerezo, Kurwanya Ubusumbane, Akarengane n’Ibindi Byose Bikubangamiye ni Uburenganzira Bwawe.